Signs of Impulsivity in Children
- Frequently interrupting conversations
- Difficulty with sitting still during meal time
- Fidgeting during television shows, game time, storytime or performances
- Running into other children often during playtime
- Excessive climbing and jumping on furniture
- Frequently getting into trouble
- Frequently getting injured
- Constantly interrupting other students during class time to play
- Pushing while in line
- Excessive talking
- Lack of patience
- Help them identify impulsive behavior. Sometimes your child is unable to recognize when she or he is being impulsive. Calmly let them know when they are exhibiting hasty behavior.
- Offer praise. Make sure to give your child recognition when she is demonstrating behavior you want her to repeat. Talk about how it makes her and others feel.
- Connect. Join a support group or network with other parents and families who are dealing with impulsive children. You can learn from one another and also share management tips for addressing adverse behavior.